BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Birth Story from Grampa



Well Michael, you made it here and I was right there (just in the living room) when you made your appearance. Your Grammy and I thought we timed our stay just right to have a few days with you but you decided to take your time and arrived the night before we had to get back home. Thank you for giving us at least that one day to meet you!
You decided to make your way while we were eating Chinese food at a restaurant in town and your mom let us know it was time. She started timing her contractions on the way and let us all pretty much finish our dinner before she let us know it was probably time to get home. I am always amazed at the calm way she handles things that most people would really stress out about. She gets that from me you know.
Back at home you made it very clear it was time and we all sat in the living room for a couple hours and I got to do some contraction timing while you worked your way here. When it came time to move to the bedroom and get in the pool I thought it best to stay out in the living room with your Uncle Drew. Your dad, Grammy, and Auntie Laura went in the bedroom with you and Dawn to bring you the rest of the way. I have to tell you I’m not a big fan of the home birth thing but your mom and dad really feel good about it and things went so well with your sister Annabelle that everything seemed in order, even if the pool was inside out.
Your mom amazed me again with her preparation and concentration when a couple hours later was the only time I heard any real vocal pain right before you were born. She controlled her breathing and pushing like a pro and your Grammy and dad helped her right through it. I couldn’t believe it when I heard your first cry because I expected more noise before. I looked up at the clock and made a mental note of 10:55 PM just in case nobody else noticed. You see I am a detail guy and numbers must be accurate.
Your mom called your Uncle Drew and me to come and meet you right away and there you were cozied right up on her just as content as could be. You only cried for a short bit and then just slept away. I couldn’t help but see the obvious difference it made for you not to be carried off by a hospital nurse right away to be cleaned, measured, and weighed and all the other things the hospitals do so they don’t get sued. You were here and you knew you were home.
The next hour was not as calm for your mom and she needed to go to the hospital to repair a little damage that happened because of how big you were. Your Grammy and I stayed with you at home and I got to hold you most of the three hours your mom was away. Imagine that, your Grampa taking care of you in your first hours on earth. I’ll never forget the peace I felt as you slept in my arms, never making a fuss and letting your mom and dad take care of things. I think your Grammy might have been a little jealous but she let me keep you as long as I wanted. She is special that way.
Your mom and dad got back a bit after 3:00 am and you settled back in with them while your Grammy and I went back to the hotel for a little sleep ourselves. What a great night, thank you for letting us be there with you to feel the sweet calm spirit you have and to welcome you to your earthly home.
Michael, you are a special son of God who has come to a special family who will love you and support you throughout your life. Recognize who you are and live up to the promises you made to your Father in Heaven and you will live a life of happiness and peace with all the blessings you deserve – love you little man.