Throughout the day, I had been feeling the normal cramping I had felt for the past couple of weeks and I wondered if I would be able to recognize when actual labor was beginning. Your daddy came home from work and asked the usual question, "So, anything feel different?" My answer, "Nope." However, about a half hour before dinner, the cramping DID start to feel different! We had dinner reservations at 6 at the Chinese Restaurant in town, where they were making us something special. I was really looking forward to it and I knew your dad was, too, so I chose not to say anything and just see how the contractions went :) I used my contraction timer app on my phone to monitor the duration and frequency. At 6 o'clock the contractions were about 40 seconds long, about every 5 minutes. They didn't hurt too much, but I did kind of tune out and stop eating during them. This is what Grammy noticed :) Daddy didn't have a clue anything was going on and was very busy trying to keep Annabelle fed and happy, but Grammy was watching :) By the end of dinner they had progressed to about 60 seconds, every 4 minutes. We were making progress! This is when I announced to the table that I was in labor :) Daddy immediately wanted to call Dawn , but I didn't feel in too big of a rush, so we made it home and I took a seat on the couch with my legs propped up on the birthing ball. I called Dawn and told her to come on over!!! Daddy gave Annabelle a quick bath and then he went to work filling up the birth pool. It was a much smaller pool this time, so it didn't take long before he took his spot next to me on the couch and I had him continue to time the contractions. Grammy went and put Annabelle to bed then came and joined Grampa, Uncle Drew, Daddy, and I. We just sat around talking and laughing, excited that it was finally happening!! We would all get quieter, though, during a contraction and when Dawn got there at about 8 o'clock they were about 3 minutes apart.
I spent the next hour working through contractions on all fours, leaning on the birthing ball. It felt so good when daddy or grammy rubbed my back through each one. I was starting to get really uncomfortable around 9:30, though, and asked if I could be checked to see how far along my progression was and to then climb in the birth pool set up in our room. Dawn checked me and I was 9 cm dilated and +1 effaced. I was good to go hop in the pool!! And what a relief I felt as soon as I climbed in! The contractions slowed down just a little as my body relaxed, but then picked right back up again and this time, they meant business! Daddy was holding my hand on one side, Grammy was holding my hand on the other, and Dawn and Auntie Laura were sitting on the bed in front of me, watching and monitoring. I was able to talk between each one, but when one started, I felt as if I went into a deep trance, chanting, breathing, relaxing the best I could. I could hear the low tone of my moans, but I tried to stay inside myself and focus just on you and what you were going through. At about 10:15, the contractions started to double peak and I would have two contractions close together, one really tough one, then one easier one. I could literally feel you working your way down! I pictured you inside, ready and excited to make your grand entrance and with each hard contraction I tried to visualize how that moment would feel when you were out and on my chest. My water broke at about 10:45 and I felt such a relief knowing that you were not far away from making that grand entrance!
Your head came out with one contraction and hard push, then the rest of your body followed during the next contraction and push! We had done it!! Michael Blaine had made his grand entrance into the world at 10:55 pm! A little under 5 hours from when I started timing :) You were bright pink and took just a second to cry out. Dawn laid you directly on my chest and all I could do was bask in your perfection. I held you close and whispered in your little ear, "We did it, Mikey. You're here! We're so glad you're here. We're so glad you're here."
Daddy came over to get a closer look and to welcome his "little man" into the family.
Then, I had to climb out of the pool and lay down on the bed. Dawn checked to make sure I wasn't bleeding badly and I cuddled with you on my chest while I waited for the contractions to start again so I could push the placenta out. Since I was bleeding a little too much, Dawn had me drink some herbs and had Daddy cut your cord.
You started sucking your fingers, so I put you to my breast and you immediately latched on and started sucking! You were a pro eater from birth :)
I could not get over how much chub you had on you, already! Your little arms were so plush and squishy, I couldn't stop touching them! And your skin was just so soft!
The placenta came easily, but after Dawn made a thorough check to see any damage, we got some bad news. Instead of just a small tear that would heal on it's own, like she originally thought, I had a third degree tear that would require going to the hospital to stitch up :( Definitely not what I wanted to hear. All I wanted to do was snuggle up and sleep with you, but instead I had to prepare to go to the hospital. Daddy and I decided to leave you with Grammy and Grampa while we went with Dawn to the hospital. I didn't want to take you to that environment if I didn't have to and you had nursed long enough to be sleepy and content, so I wasn't worried about you. It was hard to leave, but I knew you were in good hands :) It took a bit for my body to be ready to stand and even then, Daddy and Grampa had to carry me down the front porch to the car. We made it to the hospital where we then spent three hours. Part of the time in the ER and part of the time up in labor and delivery where the OB on call came to stitch my tear. I had torn to the anal sphincter and required 4 stitches plus an additional "hemline" as he liked to call it. As if he were sewing a dress! This was definitely the most painful part, but if it meant to have you here with us, in your perfect condition, I'd take the pain any day :)
While we finished up, Dawn went back tot the house to collect her things and weigh and measure you.
You measured 21 inches long,
with a 14 inch head and chest,
and weighed 9 pounds 4 ounces with your diaper on.
Once we got those measurements, we understood why I tore!
What a BIG BOY!!
We got home around 3:30 am and relieved Grammy and Grampa. They said you were great the whole time, but were glad to be able to go back to the hotel and get some rest. Once they left, we climbed back in bed together and I was able to nurse you laying down next to me. Daddy and I smiled at each other, gave a kiss goodnight and peacefully enjoyed our first night with you snuggled between us. Welcome to the world Mikey :) We love you more than words can express :)

